About this blog

I make bags and post tutorials on how to make them. I'll tell you what went well and warn you about any disasters.

Monday 18 January 2016

Bag #3: Baguette Bag

I chose to make this bag because I never know how to get a long baguette home from the supermarket hygienically and in one piece while carrying all my other shopping bags.  The answer is obviously a baguette bag.  This one fits one baguette, but it would be easy to make it wider for two or more.

Going with the French theme, I wanted a suitable fabric and found this gorgeous 100% cotton quilting fabric on ebay with its Eiffel Towers and other French symbols.  It was available in a range of colours and I chose this blue. I like a fabric which can go either way up because there’s less waste. I bought a metre which was 112cm wide because I wanted the pattern to run from top to bottom, but if you cut it out across the width rather than the length you would only need about half a metre. Because this was a quality cotton with a close weave, I didn't feel that it needed a lining, which also saved me time in the long run.

You will also need approx 40” of ribbon ¾”  wide. 


I used ½" seams throughout this project. 


Skills used in this project:

Inserting a drawstring channel


Step 1: Cutting out

Cut out the following pieces:

37” x 11” rectangle of fabric for the bag

4” x 22” fabric for the handle

2” x 22” lightweight interfacing for the handle (I used iron-on but sew-in would work just as well)



Step 2: Making the handle

 


Fold the handle fabric in half lengthways and iron to find the centre line.  Finger press the interfacing in half lengthways to find the centre line (if you are using sew-in interfacing your could iron this but don't iron the iron-on interfacing yet because it will stick to itself or the iron!).

Place the interfacing along the centre of the wrong side of the fabric, matching the fold lines.  The shiny side of the sew-in interfacing should be placed against the wrong side of the fabric because that is the sticky side which will adhere to the fabric when ironed.

The interfacing is narrower than the fabric.  Fold the edges of the fabric over the interfacing lengthways so that the edge of the fabric on each side meets the fold line. Press.

Fold the handle in half lengthways along the existing fold line and press.

Topstitch along each long edge of the handle close to the end.  There is no need to sew along the fold edge if you don't want to but I think it gives a more symmetrical and professional finish if you do.  


Step 3: Marking the drawstring channel

Before you sew the bag, mark where the drawstring channel will go, as this part of the seam won't be sewn. 

Choose which end will form the top of the bag.  Measure 7 ½" from the top of the fabric and mark the wrong side of the edge of the fabric.  This will be the top of the channel. Make a second mark 1" further down the edge (8½" from the top of the bag).  This will be the bottom of the channel.  When sewing the side seam together, do not sew this part of the seam.


Step 4: Attaching the handle to the bag and sewing the side seam

Lay out the large rectangle of fabric and decide where you want the handle.  I put one end at the bottom just before the curve and the other end a couple of inches below the drawstring channel markings.  Pin the short ends of the handle to the right side of the fabric so that they match up with the edge of the fabric.  Make sure the handle is not twisted.


You can just see the end of the handle
where it has been sewn into the seam
 


Fold the large rectangle in half lengthways right sides together to make the side seam. The handle will now be inside the rectangle with only the ends visible.

The bag looks better with a curved base.  Use a small plate or other round object to draw a symmetrical curve onto the wrong side of the fabric once it has been folded in half and cut away any excess fabric.


Sew along the whole length of the side of the bag, including the curved bottom, leaving a gap where you previously marked the drawstring channel opening. Press. 


Step 5: Sewing the drawstring channel

Keeping the bag with the right sides together, turn over the top  ½" of the fabric outwards towards the wrong side.  This will form your hem.  Press.




Pull the top of the bag down, wrong sides together, until the hem is just below the bottom drawstring channel mark.  Pin it in place so that it is even all the way round.  When you sew the bottom of the channel, you will also be sewing the hem in place.

Sew all the way round the bag at the bottom and top channel marks.  Press. Turn the bag out the right way. Press.


Step 6: Finishing



Thread the ribbon through the drawstring channel.  I attached a pin to one end of the ribbon which made it easier to thread it.

Once the ribbon has been threaded through, trim the ends to remove any pin marks and fraying. 

I always seal synthetic ribbon to prevent fraying by putting the ends next to a naked flame e.g. a tea light.  This causes them to melt slightly and seals the ends.  If you haven't tried this before, practise on a spare piece of ribbon.  Don't get it too close the flame or it will catch fire.  I always do this next to the kitchen sink as a precaution. Remember to keep the bag well away from the flame or all your hard work will be wasted. Don't do this on natural fibres e.g. cotton - it will just burn.


Voila! Your bag is complete.  















In this project I learnt:

Taking the time to accurately plan exactly where the drawstring channel will go and measuring it before starting is worth it because then everything matches up as it should.

I used a Frixion pen (disappears when ironed) to mark the fabric but forgot that I would want to press the seam before sewing the drawstring channel and my marks disappeared! As the marks were in the seam allowance, I could have used any pale permanent marker.  Next time, I need to think about the order in which I will make up the bag and use the best marker pen for the job.  I made lots of marks on the fabric (hem line, top line, inside drawstring channel, outside drawstring channel) but they weren't all needed.

Choosing the right fabric for the job is crucial.  I think this French themed fabric really sets off the project. I usually use fabric from my stash or see what my local craft store has in stock.  I had been thinking about this bag for a couple of weeks which gave me time to source the fabric online.  If I can be that organised with other projects, I'm sure they'll end up looking better.

Sometimes, keeping it simple is the best option. However, I think this project would be lovely in a plain cream e.g. a rustic calico with appliqué images sewn on.

I planned to make the drawstring of the same fabric as the bag.  At the cutting stage I suddenly remembered this pink ribbon left over from another project.  This saved a lot of time and makes the bag look really pretty and colourful.  Of course, if I hadn't liked the end result, I could still have made a fabric drawstring tie as it is not sewn in and can be changed at any time. Cord would also work well.

1 comment: