About this blog

I make bags and post tutorials on how to make them. I'll tell you what went well and warn you about any disasters.

Sunday 6 November 2016

Bag #44: Knitted Felted Bag


This is a knitted bag for a change.  I started it months ago and resumed whenever I had some free time.  Although there are some complicated techniques, the basic bag is just knitting round and round in a circle, so I can sit and watch TV while doing it without paying much attention to the knitting.  It has been very relaxing.

When I found out that you could make a felted bag with special yarn, I was quite excited and immediately bought some.  I was unable to source it locally, so I bought it online from Purple Linda Crafts where they have a great selection of felting wool for knitting.

I used SMC Wash & Filz It Big 100g balls of yarn which is a special felting yarn for felting in the washing machine at 40ºC and I knitted with 10 mm (US size 15) needles. I started off with double pointed needles and then changed to circular needles which I found easier.

I knew that I wanted an oval base and straight sides but I had no idea how to do it.  After a lot of internet research, I found out how to do the base, increasing by 8 stitches every other row (4 at each end).  I tried to stagger the increases so that they were evenly spread out at the two ends, but I don’t think it matters because the stitches aren’t really visible after felting.  I like the provisional cast on because it is seamless.  For the body of the bag, every row is a knit row using a circular needle. For the handles and the start of the base, it uses stocking stitch – a knit row, followed by a purl row.  When increasing, there are lots of different ways but I prefer to knit into a stitch twice – into the front and then into the back.  
Some of the wool and the needles
used at the start
I wasn’t sure how big to make the bag.  It is supposed to shrink by about 40% in the felting process, so I made it quite large. I used 100g balls of wool and used 5 black, 2 grey, 2 red, although I only just had enough black.

I don’t usually use knitting patterns, so I hope these instructions make sense.  I haven’t used abbreviations and I have provided links to the You Tube videos I used to learn these techniques for this bag.

The finished size is 17”/43 cm high and 18”/45.5 cm wide with 10”/25.5 cm high handles.  I was expecting the bag to end up smaller so I think the finished size depends on lots of factors, including how much agitation it gets in the washing machine (more agitation = smaller bag) - it's not an exact science.  I didn’t measure the bag before washing so I can’t be sure how much it shrank, but I would guess it was about 20%.

Skill level: Experienced Knitters. Suitable for anyone who can knit using more advanced techniques such as making stitches, provisional cast on and kitchener stitch.

Skills used in this project:
  • Knitting using circular needles
  • Making stitches
  • Provisional cast on
  • Kitchener stitch


Step 1: Knitting

The first 4 rows can be knitted with ordinary knitting needles but after that, circular needles or double pointed needles are needed as you will be knitting a circle.  From row 5 onwards, all rows are knit rows until you reach the handles.

The base

Cast on 8 stitches using black yarn and the provisional cast on method.  This is the video I used to learn this cast on method.


Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit 8, make 3, knit 8 through the continuous cast on, make 3 (22 stitches). You will now have an oval.
Row 6: Knit, increasing by 4 at each end (30 stitches).
Rows 7: Knit
Rows 8 – 22: Repeat rows 6 and 7, ending with an increasing row (94 stitches).

The sides


Row 23 – 32: Knit, using grey yarn 
Row 33 – 42: Knit, using black yarn
Row 43 – 52: Knit, using red yarn 
Row 53 – 62: Knit, using black yarn 
Row 63 – 72: Knit, using grey yarn 
Row 73 – 82: Knit, using black yarn 

The handles



Row 83: Cast off 14, knit 6 and leave on a spare needle, cast off 21, knit 6 and leave on a spare needle, cast off 14, knit 6 and leave on a spare needle, cast off 21, knit 6 and leave on a spare needle. 

Returning to each handle, work in stocking stitch in red yarn for 46 rows and retain the stitches.

Join the tops of the handles using kitchener stitch.  This is the video I used to learn how to do this stitch.




Finishing

Sew in any loose ends.


Step 2: Felting

Wash the bag at 40ºC with other heavy objects e.g. towel which will rough the wool up and help it to felt.

Shape the bag when the wash has finished and leave to dry.




Well done!  You now have an unusual bag which could be used for lots of different things.  I’m going to use mine to store my yarn.


In this project I learnt:

  • I have used circular needles before but only for straight stitching of a really long blanket edge.  I have knitted small circles before and used double pointed needles which were fiddly at first but fine once I got used to them.  As this was much larger, a circular needle seemed more sensible.  It was really easy to use – I just kept knitting round and round until the yarn ran out!
  • I had never used the provisional cast on method but I discovered it when trying to find a seamless way of creating the base.  I tried knitting in a circle but it wasn’t as neat and there was a small hole in the centre which I couldn’t completely close up (although it might not have been visible after felting).  It took several attempts before I got to grips with this method but once it clicked in my brain, it was fairly straight forward.  However, I started this bag months ago at the end of Spring so I have now completely forgotten how to do it – I would have to watch the video again.
  • Again, I had never used Kitchener stitch before but needed a way to neatly finish off the handles.  I sat in front of the screen and copied each stage of the video.  The end result was great – I couldn’t see where one side of the handle ended and the other began. 
  • I’ll never remember either of these stitches and probably won’t need them again (I usually only knit simple blankets for charity), but I know where to look if I need to use them again.
  • I was a bit disappointed the bag didn’t shrink more.  I washed it with one towel at the recommended temperature.  It can still be shrunk further, so I might wash it again with some heavy items.  I have also heard that tennis balls are very effective. However, it’s just the right size for a shopping bag and the felting process makes it very sturdy.
  • I added a colour catcher to the wash, but that didn’t prevent my towel from taking up some of the colour of the bag.  The wool isn’t colourfast so it can’t be washed with anything you care about. When I wash the towel again, hopefully some of the black stains will come out.



No comments:

Post a Comment