About this blog

I make bags and post tutorials on how to make them. I'll tell you what went well and warn you about any disasters.

Sunday 18 September 2016

Bag #37: Insulated Lunch Bag

 


I have wanted to make a lunch bag for some time, but I wasn’t sure what fabrics to use. Then I was given this insulated fabric and it all came together like clockwork.

When I visited the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham last month, The Warm Company were giving out free samples of their products.  On the day I was there, they gave out Insul Shine insulated lining.  There is no need for a separate lining and insulation – this product provides both. It can be sewn, is fully washable and can be tumble dried, so it’s hygienic too.  This sounds like an advert, but I’m not being paid or getting commission.  I was genuinely impressed with this product and will certainly buy it when my freebie runs out.

If you want to try it, you can find out more about it here http://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/quilt-waddings/insul-shine/

This lunch bag is so easy to make.  Just sew the insulated lining to the back of your chosen fabric and assemble.  Add a co-ordinating binding and you’re done.  That’s it!

The finished size is 9” high x 6” wide x 5” deep (23 cm x 15 cm x 12.5 cm), but you could easily make it wider, taller or deeper, depending on your own requirements.

I used my normal stitch length (2.5) throughout but increased it to 3.5 for top stitching.  The seams were ¼”/6mm.

I have included metric and imperial measurements but they are not exactly interchangeable, so you should stick to either one or the other.


Skills used in this project:
  • Using insulated fabric


Step 1: Cutting out

Cut out the following:

9” x 5” (23 cm x 12.5 cm) Side Panel (cut 2 outer fabric, 2 Insul Shine)

28” x 6” (71 cm x 15 cm)  Bag body (cut 1 outer fabric, 1 Insul Shine), curving the corners at one short end – I drew round a tape measure.  Not suitable for directional fabric.

6”/15 cm Velro strip

79” x 1” (2 m x 2.5 cm) binding/tape (I used herringbone tape throughout but you could use bias binding around the edges and something stronger for the handle)


Step 2: Attaching the outer fabric to the Insul Shine

Match each piece of outer fabric to the same size Insul Shine, wrong sides together. 

The silver side is the right side of the Insul Shine and this will form the lining; the white side is the wrong side, equivalent to wadding and this will go next to the wrong side of the outer fabric..

Sew all round each edge within the seam allowance to hold the Insul Shine and outer fabric together.


Step 3: Attaching the tape to the top of the bag.



Cut a 6”/15 cm piece of tape (I actually cut mine slightly bigger and trimmed it later).  Fold it in half lengthways.  Place it over the short straight end of the Bag body so that equal amounts of tape are on each side of the Bag Body.  Sew a line of stitches along the tape, making sure that both sides of the tape are stitched.

Cut 2 x 5”/12.5 cm pieces of tape and attach one to the top (short) edge of each of the side panels, as above.


Step 4: Assembling the bag



With Insul Shine sides together, clip the Bag Body to one of the side panels around 3 sides, as shown in the photo. Sew within the seam allowance - you don't want these stitches to be visible when you add the binding later.



You will now be able to see how the bag will come together.  Flatten the bag and fold the curved flap of the bag body over the front so that it is a snug fit – you don’t want the heat/cold to escape.  Just above where they meet is where the velcro will go.  Sew one piece of Velcro to the outside of the front of the bag.  Sew the other piece to the Insul Shine side of the flap.



With the bag closed there will be a fold at the top.  This is where the handle will go.  Cut a 7½”/19 cm length of tape.  Sew it to the right side of the outer fabric, one end on each side within the seam allowance. Also sew a line of stitches across the tape 1”/2.5 cm in from each side to give added strength.



Now sew the other side panel to the Bag body within the seam allowance.


Step 5: Adding the binding



Clip the tape/binding in place all around the raw edges.  Start at one of the front seams and, using one long piece of tape, sew from the top of one of the front seams all the way round one of the side panels, round the flap and all round the other side panel, finishing at the top of the other front seam.  Make sure that both sides of the tape are caught in your stitches. 



How easy was that?  That must be one of the quickest and easiest of all the bags I have made.  Now I need to go out for the day and see if it keeps my lunch cool – a perfect excuse for a day out all in the name of research!  


In this project I learnt:

I have never used any type of insulated fabric before, although I bought (but never used) some of the stuff that goes between the outer and lining on oven gloves.  I wanted to make a lunch bag for some time but didn’t know what to use for the lining.  Ideally it needs to be wipe clean. I was worried that it would be difficult to sew.  When I was lucky enough to be given this product, I was thrilled because it eliminates the need for a separate lining.  It was easy to sew, just like any normal wadding.  I love it. It’s not often I rave about a product but this is definitely the one. If you haven’t tried it yet, you absolutely must. It shows that if you have the right materials, you can do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment