About this blog

I make bags and post tutorials on how to make them. I'll tell you what went well and warn you about any disasters.

Monday 29 February 2016

Bag #9: Hands Free Bag


I wanted to make a small pouch for essentials which I could hang across my body and forget about.  I made it in this glamorous faux leather to make it more like an evening bag.  This is what I would take out for the evening if dancing or alcohol were involved - no more dancing round my handbag!  I wouldn’t have to worry about my valuables as I would be wearing them. The finished size is 6" across by 7".

This was very simple to make because the bag was made in one piece.  The only tricky part was topstitching along the second side of the zip.  It took a lot of concentration to make sure that I didn’t catch any other part of the lining as I sewed.  I love this bag so much that as soon as I have time, I'm going to make another in an everyday colour for daytime use.

I used ¼” seams throughout and my normal stitch length of 2.5 for seams and 3 for topstitching.


Skills used in this project:
  • Working with faux leather
  • Keeping it simple
  • Using eyelets
  • Using rivets


Step 1: Cutting out

From the faux leather, cut out:

6 ½” x 14 ½” Bag body (cut 1)
1 ½” x 2 ½” Zip tabs (cut 2)
2” x 48” strap (cut 1)

From the lining, cut out:

6 ½” x 14 ½” Bag body (cut 1)

From medium weight sew-in interfacing:

6 ½” x 14 ½” Bag body (cut 1)


Trimmings

2 rivets (I used 6 x 5 mm - about ¼" nickel rivets)
2 eyelets (I used a 14mm kit - about ⅝")
5” zip (I used an N5 zip cut to size but it was really a bit bulky for this small bag – N3 would be better)
½” x 15" binding or ribbon (this does not need to be cut on the bias)


Step 2: Inserting the zip



 Make the zip tabs by folding the tab fabric in half (narrow end to narrow end) and turning under the raw edges at the ends by ¼”.  Place a tab at each end of the zip, overlapping it by ½” and top stitch across making sure that both top and bottom of the tab are sewn.  The will make the zip really secure.  Do not pin the faux leather as this will leave visible marks – it is better to use clips to hold the fabric in place while sewing.  I use Clover Wonder Clips but any clip would do, even a hair clip.




Clip the interfacing to the wrong side of the faux leather bag body.  Clip one short end of the bag body/interfacing to the zip, right side of zip to right side of faux leather.  Place the lining on the other side of the zip and sew the zip in place along one edge. Top stitch along the right side of the fabric, through all layers to create a crisp edge along the side of the zip.

Sew the other end of the bag body to the zip in the same way, making sure that the fabric is not twisted. Top stitch along the edge of the zip making sure not to sew over any other part of the bag while doing so.


Step 3: Creating the bag

 


With right sides facing inwards, fold the bag so that the top edge of the zip is approximately 1½” from the top.  Make sure that the zip is partly open so that the bag can be turned through.  Sew along both side seams.  Sew binding or ribbon over the side seams to neaten. As these are straight seams rather than curved, it does not need to be bias binding – any strip of co-ordinating fabric or ribbon will do.  I used ribbon-type bias binding as I already had some in my stash that co-ordinated with the lining. Turn bag so that right side is facing out.


Step 4: Making the eyelets



Large eyelets need to be created in both corners at the top of the bag for attaching the strap.  Follow the instructions on the eyelet packaging.  I used a kit which contained a cutting tool to cut holes the right size for the eyelets.  This easily cut through all the layers of the bag, but as there were several layers, I had to do a fair bit of hammering. I then put the eyelet in the tool which came with the kit and hammered it until it was secure.


Step 5: Making the strap

 


Fold the faux leather strap fabric in half lengthways and then fold each side inwards so that it looks like bias binding. Sew along the long open edge so that the raw edges are hidden inside the strap. 

Pass one end of the strap through one of the eyelets, fold the raw edge at the end over and secure it with a rivet about 2” above the eyelet.  If you do not want to use rivets, sew the end of the strap securely in place.



I bought a rivet kit which contained a round anvil, cylindrical setter tool and rivets. Rivets come in various shapes and sizes. . I used double sided rivets but that isn't essential. 











You need to choose a rivet with a shank which is about the same length as the thickness of all the layers of the fabric it will have to go through.  I choose the smallest I could get as this fabric was quite thin despite the number of layers it had to go through.   First of all, you need to decide where you want the rivet to be and make a hole using a fabric punch or awl.  Rivets are in 2 parts.  Poke the part with the long shank through the hole you have just made from the right side of the strap. The end of the shank needs to be long enough to pass all the way through but only just otherwise it won't fit tight. Fit the other part over the shank.  Place the 'good' end on the anvil and, using the setting tool over the other end, hammer the two parts of the rivet together.  It is recommended that you use a special hammer but I used a normal hammer and was happy with the results.

At the other end of the strap, insert a slider so that the strap length can be adjusted.  A slider isn’t essential, but without it, the strap will not be adjustable so you will have to try it on and decide how long you want it to be. 

To attach the slider, make sure the strap isn't twisted and then attach the slider so that the bar across the middle is on the rear of the strap.  Pass the end of the strap through the eyelet, over the top of the bar and down so that the raw edge will be hidden between the two parts of the strap.  


Secure the end with a rivet which will only go through the back and turned under end of the strap (not through the front part) or by sewing. 





In this project I learnt:

  • Faux leather is a description that can be applied to a wide variety of fabrics which vary enormously.  When buying online, it can be very hard to know what you will actually be getting. I originally planned to use wadding because the faux leather seemed quite thin, but it was too bulky and I swapped it for interfacing.  The faux leather had a woven backing and was quite thin and flexible, making it easy to sew.  The eyelet cutter easily cut through all the layers at the same time, but faux leathers vary enormously.  A thicker one would have to be cut in stages and wouldn’t really need an interfacing. The faux leather was easy to work with, the only problem being that I couldn’t use pins as these would have left permanent holes.  Instead I used my Clover wonder clips which always do a magnificent job.
  • Using large eyelets through several layers of fabric requires practise. The trick with the eyelets was making sure that the eyelet hole was cut cleanly.  I practised on some scraps of fabric and didn’t use enough pressure. I tried again and the second cut wasn’t in exactly the same position.  I ended up with an oval shape and when I inserted the eyelet, part of the hole was visible at the edge.  I made sure that, when I made the bag, I didn’t make this mistake again.
  • Rivets come in lots of different shapes and sizes. I tried to use a fabric hole punch to make holes for the rivets but I hadn’t realised that they don’t work on woven fabrics and this had a woven backing.  Instead, I used a fabric awl to pierce a hole through all the layers of the strap and then fitted the rivet and hammered it in place. I didn’t realise that rivets come in many sizes.  The most important thing is to choose rivets with a shank depth that matches the thickness of the fabric.  If they are too small, then they won’t lock into place and if they are too big, they will be loose and wobble around. 
  • Keeping it simple and uncomplicated is worth the effort and I think I'm improving at this (and improving is the whole point of this year's challenge).  This was another attempt at making a simple bag.  I thought about putting in several zips and creating pockets on both sides, but it was more of a challenge to keep the clean lines and instructions to minimum.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out.  Now I'd like to make one is a less dramatic colour for everyday use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment